Saturday, March 18, 2006

John 1:6-13

6There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.

Saint John the Baptist. I know about this. He was the one that baptised Jesus. It says here he came from God. He must have been a pretty holy man.

... so that hrough him all men might believe. Wow, John the baptist had high goals? I would think the word "might" is an important part of that sentence. Am I right?
I like verse 9. That sounds really beautiful. True light that gives light to every man... it sounds so promising and like such an intense event is being described. They are talking about Chritmas Eve?

10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

I never heard this before. The world did not recognize him. I never thought about that. He made all the people and for the most part, people didn't know he was their creator. Do I get the gist? He came to that which was his own ... He owned the people and they didn't accept him?

The last part... It is saying that those who "received" him, or believed in him, he gave them the privilege of being God's children. So, we are not all God's children? Most people I know that would talk about this, would say, "we are all God's children." Maybe I will learn more about this as I keep reading. Born of God - is this baptism or what?

That last sentence is sort of mind-boggling.

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Rosie, well done for keeping it up.

Born of God means to be brought into a new relationship with God by faith in Jesus Christ. This involves receiving a new nature and a new start from God.

God does not just forgive us our sins when we believe in Christ for eternal life, but through the Holy Spirt he transforms our nature so that we live to please Him.

God Bless

Matthew

11:54 AM, March 18, 2006  
Blogger mark pierson said...

Amen Matthew!

Hi Rosie, What Matthew said!

Hope you have a nice day.

Mr. Pierson

6:50 PM, March 19, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

OK, well that is intersting. I will keep reading.

I kind of think of the things that I do as being understandable by God. Like, I think that He will not be angry with me for anything when I die because He knows that I have done the things I do because I am the result of all the influences in my life.

I am open to re-thinking this. I will keep reading and try to think about what has been said here. I am not sure what sin is, but I am sure I can learn. The Catholic religion has lists and lists of sins. I think it is stupid. I don't really like it when people use the word "sin."

Oh well,
I have rambled. I will keep reading.

10:03 PM, March 19, 2006  
Blogger mark pierson said...

Rosie,

Sin is falling short of God's standards. For example, a strong pitcher in baseball cannot throw a ball hard enough to hit the moon, can he? The distance that that baseball falls short of the moon can be looked at as sin-falling short.

Another way to look at sin is when you see a "No Trespassing" sign on someone's property, and you step on it anyway. You crossed a boundry that you should not have.

So, you see, man is incapable of keeping God's standards- he falls terribly short- and he loves to cross over boundries that God has set.

God has said that without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sins. Heb. 9:22. The Book of Revelation tells us that great and wonderful truth..."To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood".. Rev.1:5.

You know, you can have forgiveness for your sins too. John's gospel tells us to look to Jesus, look to Him as your only hope for salvation. How much energy does it take to just look?

Mr. Pierson

11:07 PM, March 19, 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Rosie, if you committed a crime you would have to go before the judge. Your lawyer might tell him about all the influences on your life, but at the end of the day the judge still has to sentence you.

Maybe the judge might take your influences into account and give you a lighter sentence, but he could not let you off the hook.

It is that way with God. He is the ultimate judge and holds us responsible for what we do.

Naturally, I am sure you do not like that idea, but we have to face up to the truth.

That is why you need God's forgiveness, which you can obtain throught Jesus Christ.

God Bless

Matthew

3:44 AM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

OK, OK .. sin. Sin, I hate that word, but I will think about what you guys have said.

Bluecollar,
You said, "How much energy does it take to just look?"

Am I not taking a look right now? I am reading this book of John. I hope I am "taking a look." I want to. What have I got to lose, right?

That was kind of a neat sentence, though, Mr. Pierson. "How much energy does it take to just look?"

DF,
That is scary. I have always sort of counted on God's "understanding."
(If there is a God ... and all the life after death stuff is real.)
God is "the ultimate judge"?
Maybe I will find out more about this sin and judge etc... as I read on. I'm considering it.

BOTH of you - thanks for your help.

7:54 AM, March 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home