Wednesday, March 29, 2006

John 1:19-23

19Now this was John's testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Christ."

THe Jews sent religious leaders to ask John the Baptist who he was. Didn't they know? He was JOHN THE BAPTIST. He told them he was not the Christ. He must have known that they were looking for the Messiah (that is the same word as "Christ" right?) So, John had no delusions here. He proclaimed "I am not the Christ." How refreshing.

21They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" He answered, "No."

Hmmm.. They asked him if he was Elijah. That strikes me as a little wierd. They did know his name was John. There must be some reason why they would ask him if he was somebody else. There must have been some thinking going on in Judaism that I am unaware of. They didn't believe in reincarnation? I don't know what they mean by "the prophet" either. Anyways, the fact that he said "no" to it all is very impressive to me. He was not looking for some great recognition for the Jewish leaders.

22Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"
23John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.' "


Wow, John is saying then that he is fulfilling some prophecy from Isaiah. Well, that is big, but I am still refreshed by him. He knew who he was. I like this book of John. (John is a popular name in the New Testament)

5 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

The name John seems popular enougth today. It is good that you are finding it refreshing.

The Bible prophecies in Malachi, that Elijah will come back to earth oen day.

Elijah did not die, but was taken up into heaven, you see.

God Bless

Matt

11:27 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Hi DF, :~)
Yes, I know a lot of people named John.
I did not know that about Elijah. Wow! Thanks for coming around here every time and offering your comments. I really appreciate it. You are such a nice man.

3:25 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Thanks, Rosie.

4:33 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

You're welcome, DF.
You are very dependable in this place. Not many people are very dependable. I think of you as a true friend.

7:32 AM, March 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I was reading your blog. The verse where the Jews ask John: "Are you the prophet?" got my attention.

Isn't it possible that this Prophet is Mohammad, the prophet of the Arabs? It is clear that they expected a prophet after the Messiah.

6:01 PM, February 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home