Thursday, March 30, 2006

John 1:24-34

24Now some Pharisees who had been sent 25questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

These Pharisees must have figured baptising was something that a very special person would do to others?

26"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. 27He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."

Well, that is a mouthful. Saint John the Baptist says he is not worthy to touch the shoes of Jesus. They were cousins, right? John the Baptist must have known a lot about Jesus. He must have been aure of who he was. I wonder if he had some special revelation about who Jesus was. Maybe he was saying this based on having observed Jesus all his life. ... or did he mean since Jesus was the Messiah, that he was unworthy to touch his shoes?

28This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
Jesus the Lamb of God 29The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!


Well, that is really something, too. I wish I knew what "the Lamb of God" meant. It sounds like (at first glance - I am ignorant remember) he was very harmless. That is my first impression of the phrase "Lamb of God." (the harmless one from God?) Maybe I need to look into that one. Takes away the sin of the world? Huh? Let me just think about that for a minute ...
What is the point of much religion if Jesus "takes away the sin of the world"? That sounds like something He does on His own. I think that is a pretty powerful statement. Even as I sit here, I am more and more amazed at that phrase. "... Takes away the sin of the world." I hear this phrase in church during the Eucharist, but it never seemed the same as when I think of it now said by John the Baptist. (it always seems like they are saying it about the host, and that is kind of unimpressive. This is much more powerful.)

30This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'

Huh? That must have boggled their minds a bit. This must be referring back to what was in the first few verses ... about Jesus being from eternity. John must have known something about that.

31I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel."

Well, I guess John knew his purpose.

32Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' 34I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God."

OK, this boggles my mind some more. John says that "somebody" (God the father?) told him that the person who has a visible spirit come down and rest on him is the Son of God. He didn't know that the person - the Son of God - was his cousin until that time? That must have been quite a shocker! (Maybe I need to scrap my idea regarding the "observing Jesus all His life.") That is quite a "testimony" from John the Baptist. "...this is the SON OF GOD." wowsa.

I find this kind of exciting. I am surprised that it is exciting to me. I wonder why we don't read this in religion class.

17 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Wowsa!

Great observations in this post, young Rosie.

Signed,

Not Very Dependable

9:02 AM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Hi Mr. Pierson,
You are very dependable too. Thank you for your support.
What I meant in that other comment to DF is that a lot of the people in my real life are not very dependable (friends, etc...)

9:33 AM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Rosie, your reflections on the text are great. It is good that you find it exciting. It is refreshing to read your excitement.

God Bless

Matthew

2:59 PM, March 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little Rosemary,

I see you are getting too familiar with the bible, have you no shame!

You are dialoging with Protestants too. You should be trying to get them to see that the bible is the property of the One True Church. As such, one must not interpret the sacred texts apart from the meaning given to it by the church.

You should stop this foolishness at once, confess your sin to your Priest, put the bible back into his hands, and may God have mercy on you. You are much too young to understand such things this is for those who have been properly trained and ordained.

You must stop, for I fear you are in danger of becoming a Protestant.

6:26 AM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger mark pierson said...

Anonymouse: Rose Cole is a dear friend of mine and what she is doing here IS NOT FOOLISHNESS! I must come to her defence at once. She is a fine commentator on scripture.

Rose, you are my friend! Please do not let your feelings be hurt by this coward!

Mark Pierson

10:17 AM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Pierson,

Sadly, I have known many fallen away Catholics. Like this dear child, they start to read a bible which is inferior to the accepted Catholic version and that apart from the sound permission of their parish Father.

Furthermore, they imagine that they can understand the deep hidden meanings in its sacred texts apart from the proper Catholic teachings. This puts Miss Rosemary in danger of heresy.

She must confess this sin to her Priest who alone can absolve this sin upon her penance, if God has mercy.

Dear Rosemary, please don’t make the mistake of leaving The One True Church! May the Mother of God, Herself, aid you in seeing her only son’s only Church. I beg you do not fall away. Do not be confused by the words you read in the bible, ask your Priest to help you.

11:44 AM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Hi DF,
Thanks for your thoughts. Refreshing? Not many people ever say that anything I do is refreshing!

12:37 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Anonymous,
If the Bible is "the property of the one true church" - then why don't we read it at Catholic school?
Why is it foolishness to read a piece of famous literature? I am not going to stop reading this. It is great.
I can't become a protestant, I still live with my mother - she would never let me.

12:39 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Hi Mr. Pierson,
Cole? My name is Rosie Rauh. (pronounced "wow")
Actually, Rosemary is my first name. I wonder who the person is who knows my whole name - I don't think I posted it anywhere on this blog. Maybe they saw me say it elsewhere. I wonder if my family found this blog and told the church about it. I wonder if I will get expelled from school for reading the gospel of John. Oh, now I am being paranoid. I don't think so.

Thanks for sticking up for me, bluecollar!

Anonymous,
"Fallen away Catholics" - you sound like my mom - I have heard her use that phrase before when talking about a neighbor maybe ... someone.
Heresy? What is that?
Sin? I am just reading a book. Will you leave me alone now? It is not all that confusing so far.
Geesh!

12:44 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Pronounced like "wow" with an "R"
German.

12:45 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Rosie, a good question to ask the anonymous dude is how you can know what the One True Church is?

How can you know that the Catholic Church is the One True Church?

He or she might quote Matthew 16:18 where Jesus addresses Peter. Anon. would say that proves that Peter is the first Pope.

However, if you are not able to interpret the Bible on your own, how can you know that it means that?

If you must go to the Church ofr authority to interpret the Bible, you need to know what the Church is.

God Bless

Matthew

3:25 PM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rosemary,

I am sorry for using hard to understand words; you must know that the bible does that too.

Before I "leave you alone" I will answer your question, “If the bible is 'the property of the One True Church' - then why don't we read it at Catholic school?"

It must be that the words are too difficult for young people to understand and I am sure they would not want to confuse common people with such great words. It should be enough for you to praise the Saints for the hope of salvation through the Sacraments. You do know the Sacraments don't you? One of which is confession.

Please do not harden your heart, as I am being very patient with you. I want to be your friend. Only a true friend would tell you the truth about the sin you may be facing. To show you how benevolent I really am I will not comment here again unless I feel that you want me to. I will now depart in peace, praise be to God, and I will “leave you alone”.

3:27 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Anon, how can Rosie know which Church is the One True Church?

Surely that is a great and confusing issue.

Is it the Roman Catholic church? The Eastern Orthodox Church? The Oriental Orthodox churches?

Are the Anglican churches valid?

What is the basis of your authority?

God Bless

Matthew

4:54 AM, April 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Rosemary,
I do not mean to come here and interupt your blog, but I feel that Mr. DF deserves an answer to his questian.

Mr. DF,
there is no confussion at all other that the thoughts you, and that dreadful bible may be putting into this dear girls head.

There is only One True Church it is the Roman Catholic Church! I have no authority, but the One True Church does! She holds the Keys to heaven and earh because they were given to St. Peter by Jesus Christ our Lord! I know this is true because it is what the One True Church teaches and we can all trust Her holy teachings.

Please Mr. DF and Mr. Piersons leave this child to her Church. I wish you would become Roman Catholic too. The Church will accept you back, why not run to Her for your very souls?

12:52 PM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger mark pierson said...

Anon,

I WAS Catholic, until I was told the truth about Jesus Christ. Now, He is my only hope of salvation. No church, no good works, nothing can save me. Only faith in Christ-PERIOD!

6:25 PM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Anonymous,
I don't see that the words are very difficult to understand so far. I am enjoying the read. Thank you.

1:52 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Anonymous,
I am not a child. I am 16 years old and I have a mind and I can think.

1:53 PM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home